Sustainability starts with us. It starts with our actions, but much more basic, with our thoughts. Our mindset is absolutely central when it comes to living authentically and sustainably towards yourself and others in the long term.
We are therefore very pleased that Anne has taken up this topic and would like to give you practical tips in this article. She is a coach for sustainability and works with people who would like to “sustainalize” their lives. Under the articles you will find more information about her and if you have any questions we are happy to answer them in the comments.
What exactly does a sustainable / garbage-free mindset look like and how do you implement it in real life?
A sustainable mindset is about recognizing your own strengths, mistakes and problems. You don’t have to change, just recognize and accept yourself unfiltered in the mirror. Get rid of the thought that one is the sum of the things he or she owns. One is not defined by a bank account either. What really matters are inner values and real actions. This applies to professional life, interpersonal relationships, health, self-confidence as well as finance.
Where should I begin?
Of course, all of this is a process, never perfect and never completed. We can all grow beyond ourselves. Day after day.
Start where it is easiest for you!
We often worry too much. “Is that right how I do it? Does it change anything at all? I would like to do more, but I don’t know how!”
Here are 5 simple tips on how to make your everyday life waste-free
- Clean up as a fresh start. Sorting out old things also means tidying up with your past. Think about: What do you want to remember in the future? What things and the memories associated with them can go away? What is important to you
- Plan your dream life. What do you love? What can you? What do you want to do (yet)? Follow what you love and remove (radically or step by step) what makes you unhappy. These can be things, activities, habits, but also people.
- Think in solutions instead of problems.
Cancel unimportant dates. Garbage-free mindset does not only mean saying goodbye to personal possessions. It also means separating from appointments, commitments and connections. This is the only way that happiness goods, such as personal freedom and more time for yourself, are possible.
- Do what you love. Create a fulfilling life, a job with which you can identify and a positive environment. And if you think now: “Yes, but …” then continue until the “Yes, but …” disappears. Take the first steps, no matter how small. Don’t forget, the way is the goal.
- Bring variety to your life. Take the bike instead of the car. Or look for a few plastic-free alternatives.
Leave your comfort zone regularly and do things that scare you a little. This is how you gain experience and learn that you can easily deal with all the challenges of life. So what are you still afraid of?
About the guest author
I am Anne, 28 years old, a happy nature, minimalist and coach for sustainability. In my work as a tiny house architect, I also give coaching for sustainability and consumer awareness, where I enable my customers to live a tidy, fulfilling life in a natural environment away from excuses, throwing away and fears. My mission is to show people a new perspective and to motivate them to clean up with the help of minimalism so that they have more time instead of stuff.